Tuesday, May 20, 2008

What is "Line Crosser 21"?

Welcome to Line Crosser 21. The content of this site will cover a wide range of issues from religion to sports to urban architecture to education. However, the main focus of the site will be to discuss issues of race and politics. A few events lead me to realize that I needed to create this blog. First was the absolutely appalling coverage of the Jeremiah Wright [shouldn't have been a] scandal by the mainstream media. I realized then the need for deeper, more complex, more mature public discourse.The second was my recent propensity for writing Facebook notes on this issue. I soon came to realize that I was inching closer and closer to writing a blog anyway, and that I might as well do a real one that's open to more than just my Facebook friends.

So, here it is. The name "Line Crosser 21" comes from a statement by W.E.B. DuBois that "the problem of the twentieth century is the color line." Well, the question is, does that statement hold true for the twenty-first century as well? If it does, what does that mean? The name also reflects the fact that I plan on toeing or even crossing the line of what is expected or "acceptable" in this blog.

Being that this blog has it's roots in my Facebook notes, many of the first entries will come from there. I will make an attempt to update everyday, but no promises.

- KL

No comments: